First off, this description is a wishlist, not a checklist. We want to find a super-amazing person to join our team, and we’re well aware that “super-amazing” can come in all different forms. If you’re a little less experienced on a specific bullet point, or if you didn’t go to a fancy school, apply anyway. We look at candidates, not resumes.
About the Role
Standard is looking for a creative and passionate product designer to help design and build our software solutions for independent creators. You’ll be joining a design team led by the CCO, and will have lots of autonomy and immediate impact on the design and user experience of our biggest products and services.
- Work closely with leadership in design and engineering to create and enhance both internal tools and external products
- Gather and evaluate design requirements and identify product improvement opportunities
- Create design deliverables such as user flows, wireframes, lo-fi and hi-fi layouts, prototypes
- Coordinate with other design team members to ensure consistent and accurate communication
- Present product design concepts to cross-functional teams and leadership
What We’re Looking For
- Proven experience in all phases of the design process including user research, copywriting, wireframing, prototyping, visual design, interaction design, and usability testing
- Strong typography, layout, and visual design skills
- Working knowledge of Figma, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Excellent attention to detail and a proactive, independent working style
- Efficacy with time management and prioritizing of tasks
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Familiarity with agile methodologies and sprint planning is a plus
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Excited about online video and podcasts
- Competitive salary between $60,000-$85,000 depending on experience
- Flexible work hours and vacation policy
- Diverse, socially-minded team of nice people
- Access to our wonderful NYC and Denver offices
- Medical, dental, and vision plans (for US-based employees)
- 401(k) and other benefits
Standard is a sort of talent management agency and production company for thoughtful YouTubers and podcasters. We do a lot of things, so it’s hard to explain it all in a single paragraph, but our mission is to empower independent creators. Most of our time is spent talking or working with the creators directly, one on one or in a group, coming up with better tools and toys for them.
We’re a distributed company. We have offices in NYC and Denver, but more than 50% of the team is remote, in exotic locations like the UK, the Netherlands, France, and Ohio.
Because we’re distributed and because most of our tasks aren’t immediately time-sensitive we don’t really have operating hours, per se. There are things to do and meetings to be had, but we pride ourselves on our flexibility. We think this makes Standard a great place to work for people with families, or whose productive hours tend to be outside of the 9-5. We care about what you do more than when you do it.
How We Hire
We think that diversity is important. Many of us have non-traditional backgrounds. We work in the online education space, so we understand how much can be learned on your own, on the Internet, outside of a classroom.
We’re looking for people who are curious and passionate. Our team should be made up of people of all sorts of colors, genders, and sizes, who can help to expand our perspective and improve our ability to treat our creators and our audience with thoughtfulness and empathy.
If that sounds like you, we’re happy to care less how many years of experience you have or where you went to school. Apply anyway. And if you have any feedback on how we could reach or appeal to a more diverse pool of talent, get in touch.
Send an email to [email protected] and include:
- The position.
- What excited you about the role.
- Your resume, obviously.
- Links to relevant work available online
- A note or two about your interests outside of work. This is usually more interesting than the resume part.
Tip: “tv” is part of our domain, not our name.